After the holidays, DH and I got into a cleaning frenzy - putting away the Christmas decorations, filing papers away, throwing away clutter that somehow builds up over time. However, there was one area that I avoided.....my pantry. I have a fairly deep pantry cabinet, which means I tend to forget what canned goods I have lurking back there. So in the spirit of out with the old & in with the new, I'm on a mission to cook meals using whatever I have in my pantry / fridge / freezer. I can buy some fresh ingredients, but each meal has to use something from the pantry.
Today's first attempt:
Broiled Rainbow Trout Fillet with a Warm Chickpea Salad
- 2 frozen trout fillets
- 1 can chick peas, rinsed & drained
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic,minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 C frozen corn
- 1 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place fillets in an ovenproof pan. Sprinkle fillets with salt + pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until cooked.
- Meanwhile in a medium saute pan, soften garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Add drained chickpeas, cumin, chili pepper flakes, salt+pepper. Saute for a few minutes and then add corn. Saute for a few minutes more and then add lemon juice.
- Serve broiled fish and chickpea salad with steamed rice. Optional - add a dollop of tzatziki to the chickpea salad before serving.