Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pantry dinners #1



After the holidays, DH and I got into a cleaning frenzy - putting away the Christmas decorations, filing papers away, throwing away clutter that somehow builds up over time.  However, there was one area that I avoided.....my pantry.  I have a fairly deep pantry cabinet, which means I tend to forget what canned goods I have lurking back there.  So in the spirit of out with the old & in with the new, I'm on a mission to cook meals using whatever I have in my pantry / fridge / freezer.  I can buy some fresh ingredients, but each meal has to use something from the pantry. 

Today's first attempt:

Broiled Rainbow Trout Fillet with a Warm Chickpea Salad

Ingredients:
  • 2 frozen trout fillets
  • 1 can chick peas, rinsed & drained
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic,minced
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 C frozen corn
  • 1 tsp chili pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • juice from 1/2 a lemon

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Place fillets in an ovenproof pan.  Sprinkle fillets with salt + pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
  • Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until cooked.
  • Meanwhile in a medium saute pan, soften garlic and onion in olive oil.
  • Add drained chickpeas, cumin, chili pepper flakes, salt+pepper.  Saute for a few minutes and then add corn.  Saute for a few minutes more and then add lemon juice. 
  • Serve broiled fish and chickpea salad with steamed rice.  Optional - add a dollop of tzatziki to the chickpea salad before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment