Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Say cheese!

As I mentioned in my last post, I can be pretty determined. This past Tuesday, I was determined to go to my favorite shop - the Cheese Boutique [check out my review on Yelp]. So after work I went and shopped till my wallet groaned in protest.



I was excited to see that Cheese Boutique now carries two type of burrata - one made locally and one flown in from Italy. I think the one from Italy flew in on a first class seat because it was PRICEY! 1.5x more expensive than the local variety. As much as I wanted to try it, I was good and bought the less expensive one. I'll get the Italian one next time. ha! With much restraint, I walked out with an assortment of cheese, cured meats, a double thick tenderloin steak, cookies and this sauce:


The ingredients include chili peppers, olive oil, eggplant, garlic and some other stuff. I couldn't wait to try it on crackers, mixed into pasta or perhaps used in a marinade.

I don't eat pasta very often but when I do, my favorite version is al olio - a simple toss of pasta, garlic, olive oil, chili pepper flakes, parsley and parmesan cheese. Lately I've also been sneaking in some chopped anchovies [shhh....DH doesn't know]. I know most of you are cringing as you read "anchovies". But seriously, chopped up and sauteed with garlic - it literally disappears. DH has eaten this dish several times and he can't detect any fishiness [he's also commented how yummy it tastes teehee] Trust me - try it once and you'll be converted.

At lunch the next day, I decided to make pasta using this new sauce. I forgot to buy more parsley so I made it without. I like spicy food and this pasta was flavorful. I can see this being served with some grilled fish or shrimps and some steamed vegetables. Definitely a good purchase!


Pasta al olio

4 anchovies, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
pinch of chili pepper flakes
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 C olive oil
2 T spicy eggplant sauce
handful of pasta (preferably spaghetti, spaghettini, or capellini)
1/4 C chopped parsley
grated parmesan cheese, to taste

  1. Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente
  2. In a saute pan, saute anchovies, garlic, chili pepper, eggplant sauce and olive oil until anchovies have melted down, 5 min then turn off heat. Season with salt/pepper.
  3. Drain pasta and add to saute pan with 1/2 C of pasta water
  4. Add lemon juice and parsley, then toss. Serve with grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment